As a student, your days are probably spent in lectures, socialising and, maybe a part-time job. But have you ever considered volunteering? It may not be the first thing that comes to mind at uni, but it could be the most valuable.
If you're looking for a way to make a positive impact on children or young people while gaining valuable life experiences, volunteering as an independent visitor could be just the thing for you. Let's explore eight reasons why this volunteering should be on your radar:
1. Make a Real Difference: As an independent visitor, you have the chance to bring fun and friendship to a young person’s life. Your reliable and consistent presence to a young person in care can make a world of difference
2. Connect and Empathise: Building a strong bond with a young person in care allows you to develop empathy and understanding, broadening your perspective on life and the challenges some may face. You’ll be able to become a better listener and be able to form strong connections
3. Enhance Your Skills: This volunteer opportunity lets you develop essential skills like communication, active listening, and problem-solving - all highly sought-after qualities that will benefit your future career. Make your CV look great and stand out from the crowd.
4. Flexibility to Suit Your Schedule: Balancing academics and social life can be tough but fear not! Volunteering as an independent visitor offers flexible hours, making it easy to fit into your busy routine. We just ask that you can commit to a couple of times a month for visits.
5.Create a Long-Lasting Bond: The experiences and memories you make while volunteering will stay with you forever. Many of our volunteers keep in touch with their young person beyond the two-year commitment.
6.Boost Your Confidence: Stepping out of your comfort zone and engaging with young people in a meaningful way will give your confidence a boost. Your role as a volunteer can also give you a sense of pride and belonging.
7. Give back to your local community: We recruit volunteers from areas such as:
- East Durham
Giving your time and effort to someone else living in Teesside can make the area a better place.
- It’s all about having fun! Being an independent visitor is all about planning fun activities and sharing mutual hobbies. So whether it's going for a walk on the beach at Seaton Carew, watching a film at the pictures, or having a kick about in the park, what you and your young person do together is entirely down to you! All expenses are covered, so you don’t need to worry about costs.
So, there you have it! Volunteering as an independent visitor opens doors to self-growth, unforgettable experiences, and the chance to make a real difference in the lives of others. Why not start this journey today and create lasting impact and memories for yourself and those you touch along the way?