Unique volunteering opportunity to make a real difference to a child’s education and future
Mentors needed to support year 6 pupils to successfully transition to year 7
- All children can find moving from year 6 to year 7 stressful and difficult. For children with difficult home lives the risks become much greater. As a mentor you will befriend, support and do fun activities with these children to enable them to gain the confidence and skills to cope with the change well. The overall aim is for them to be happy and achieve well at school, so they have the best future possible.
- Each child and their family will be working with wider professionals. As a volunteer you will be part of that team. You will have the full support of the Education Psychologist and Changing Futures North East to support the child and contribute to a plan for the whole family.
- As well as being a friend to the young person by building trust and offering support and advice, you will do fun activities together. Anything from going to a farm, playing footy in the local park, visiting your favourite place to eat or having special treats, such as going to see a film. All expenses are paid for by the charity.
- This is an amazing opportunity for you to become a positive role model to children who have experienced difficulties in their lives and to give them a greater chance in life by settling well at their new school. You will help them have a happier and successful future and this is a significant time in their lives to make that difference.
Benefits of being a Mentor:
- Making a real difference to a child’s life.
- Developing your own confidence and skills.
- Taking part in free ongoing training with Education Psychologists.
- Gaining valuable experience for your career.
- Helping young people achieve goals and aspirations by succeeding at school.
- Making new friends, memories and unforgettable experiences.
To take part in this opportunity the following is required:
- Commit to the role by spending time with the child once per fortnight for up to 10 months
- Over 18 years’ old
- Take part in training & recruitment checks
To find out further information contact Elle Lawrence at Changing Futures North East.
Tel: 01429 891444
www.changingfuturesne.co.uk (application forms available to download)